Arcana measures how much you know about arcane magic and creatures. Even if you’re untrained, you can Recall Knowledge.
Recall Knowledge about arcane theories; magic traditions; creatures of arcane significance (like dragons and beasts); and the Elemental, Astral, and Shadow Planes.
Arcana Trained Actions
You must be trained in Arcana to use it for the following general skill actions.
- Decipher Writing about arcane theory.
- Identify Magic, particularly arcane magic.
- Learn a Spell from the arcane tradition.
Borrow an Arcane SpellConcentrate Exploration
If you’re an arcane spellcaster who prepares from a spellbook, you can attempt to prepare a spell from someone else’s spellbook. The GM sets the DC for the check based on the spell’s level and rarity; it’s typically a bit easier than Learning the Spell.
- Success You prepare the borrowed spell as part of your normal spell preparation.
- Failure You fail to prepare the spell, but the spell slot remains available for you to prepare a different spell. You can’t try to prepare this spell until the next time you prepare spells. <